Sunday, June 19, 2011

Hey Daddy

Happy Father's Day Daddy! I just wanted to take a minute and tell you all the reasons I am so thankful to have you as my father:



Thank you for teaching me the value of learning. I love hearing you talk to people and listen to their stories and learn from their lives. I love the way you easily transition from being a leader for your troops and in our family, to being a student to those you respect and can learn from. You've taught me through your actions that being a good leader also means being a good student and it inspires me to be better at both. As far as formal education goes, I cannot tell you how much respect I have for you for finishing your degree. I am so incredibly proud of your hard work. 



I love how you refer to different seasons of life as adventures. You've shown me that when life changes direction, it's just the start of a new adventure.  I will never forget the morning you and Mom and Alex and Katy took me to the airport when I left CA for college. Even though I was no longer a minor and you did not have a ticket, the lady at the ticket counter could tell from my red eyes and splotchy cheeks that I needed my daddy to walk me to the gate. I remember you holding me in those seats and we were watching the planes leave, knowing I would be on one soon. You held me and said that we have had so many great adventures together and now it was time to go out and have my own adventures. Thank you for showing me the world and thank you for the beautiful adventure that you have taken me on in the past 20 years. I don't know where I would be if you were not the man that you are. My favorite adventures have always had you by my side. 



Dad. I cannot tell you how thankful I am for your patience and grace in raising me. I know I was/am a handful. Thank you for not losing your temper when I "made biscuits" in my toy kitchen. Thank you for helping me clean my room when I was little, after telling me to do it "everytime". Thank you for the day in 6th grade when my school project just seemed like more than I could do, and you and I snuck out of the house and you took me to the movies to see What a Girl Wants. Just you and me. You always take the time to make sure I know you love me, especially when I don't deserve it. Thank you for always trying to be understanding of the fights I got into with my friends as a teenager. Thank you for encouraging me when I failed my first college class or when I changed my major for the millionth time. You always told us that you and Mom are different parents to me, Alex, and Katy because each of us are totally different people. I cannot thank you enough for recognizing each of us as individuals and having a personal relationship with each of us. 



Thank you for keeping this family together. Always. Your humor and your stubborn nature I think are the glue in this family. Thank you for making us laugh and for letting us always have fun. Thank you also for knowing when one of us needs space and when one of us needs just a little bit more attention. Thank you for teaching us how to love each other and how to enjoy having each other around. 



I love you so much Daddy! I can't wait for the next time I get to see you!!! 

Love, 
La







1 comment: